Friday, November 2, 2012

"Every Good Flop You Receive Helps You A Lot..."

Othello auto-course showings today.



Philippe started the class by asking me to get up onstage. He asked me to tell the class what yesterday's exercise was, and then he began asking me questions about my personal life. Skyping Amanda in Toulouse and visiting her in Lyon... He also told me that I've been really bad in this workshop so far, and reminded me that I am an actor but not a clown. I answered his questions as myself, albeit with a slightly higher and louder voice than I usually would. I was a bit shy and embarrassed (it was a strange way to start the class)! He said that like this - when I don't play so much - I am more nice, and that I might discover something from this place.

~

He then said that anyone who wanted to do the 'pretending to be furious' exercise from yesterday could have a go now. So Tessa got up to have a go. And when Tessa got up Hannah thought it was because they were going to do their prepared auto-course number together. So Hannah started the show, talking to the audience saying it's been a hard week but she just wants to say that she knows everyone is going to be great! And then Tessa came out from backstage genuinely confused asking whether this was the 'pretending to be furious' exercise, or the auto-course showing. And then Hannah was confused. Philippe said they could do as they liked. And then they both were confused - whispering to each other and looking to us with goofy faces. Then they decided to do their number, and asked for music. But then they had several problems with the music. And then Tessa forgot to do her proper walk, so they started again. And then they finally did their bit with the handkerchief (which was just putting it on the ground and leaving the stage slowly with their arms out pointing to the handkerchief! 

It was absolutely brilliant! Everybody was laughing their heads off! "Fantastic." We didn't know exactly when they started the show, so they had a great connection with us. Philippe said we all should do this. It helps to build complicité, as opposed to coming out to the audience cold. Philippe said they should do this number for the show at the end of the term. Such a great way to start the day! 

~

Nicko and Miluka did a number in which they came out on stage with their hands tied together by some fabric. It was a big flop. There was no connection or complicity with us. "That is a very important point. Little by little we have fun with you. You can't enter 'shlack!' [heavy]"

~

Simone, Miwa and Jonathan did a fantastic number that had everyone in hysterics. Jonathan (with his loud gay spanish voice) introduced the play with a brief synopsis...but over his speech every now and then Simone would say "wooh!" in a high voice and Miwa would say "yes!" in a low voice, and every time they did this Jonathan had to say "wooh" or "yes" in response. So they had a great game, with Jonathan trying to announce the show but totally in the shit. We loved all of them. "The beginning is fantastic." They lost it at times, not knowing what to do, but Simone saved it a few times by doing deep breathing and encouraging us to do it with him. It was a pleasure to watch. And it would be a great way to start a show!

~

Liz and I presented our number, which after a week of umming and ahhing we finally settled on today. We decided that we would take turns in major, with Liz starting by wiping her head with a handkerchief as if she's really hot and sweaty and then saying "Shakespeare", and then me sneezing into a handkerchief saying "Othello." A stupid idea, but potentially loveable...the clowns only know that you need a handkerchief for Othello...so it must be about the flu!


Upon going on stage, I started by saying to the audience (in my normal slightly sensitive voice) that I'm feeling a bit sensitive because of what Philippe has been saying to me about not being a clown…so just acknowledge how I'm feeling and be nice to me. It wasn't funny. But it helped I think. Because when I entered on stage running around the circus to music I could play with what I said a bit. Looking to different people in the audience as if saying "hey - I'm feeling a bit sensitive today."

In performing our number, they liked Liz. She was light and silly and she was getting laughs. But when I went I was heavy and bad. But I found a good game admitting that I was bad. I'd sneeze and then look at the audience...nothing...and then pass it back to Liz saying "go on Liz, save the show." People were laughing at me because I was admitting I was bad. And little gestures that show that, like turning to the back wall in shame, got laughs. 

So it we had a good go. Riding the wave of the flop. Philippe killed us eventually, and said "we don't think they're best friends" as said there was a bit of rivalry evident between us, but that shouldn't be how it is. It can't be that I think she's better than me. It's just that it's a good day for her and a bad day for me.

"But something is good… What happened?"

So being more sensitive and open with the audience is a winner. Showing myself. I'm a super sensitive person. Perhaps that is the ridiculous part of me that I should be selling? Or perhaps it's the 'want to be good/don't like being bad' part?

~

Sophie and Connor did a great number in which Connor entered on horseback (Sophie) and lots of problems ensued. It was funny because what they were doing was absolutely random and ridiculous. And they were idiots. Then a game arose in which Sophie started coming on to Connor in a sexual way. It ended with Connor dragging Sophie off stage looking very afraid (in a naïve way). 

Philippe told Sophie her "voice is too much English and not enough coming from something strange" but that their number was "very good."

~

Rosemary and Steph did a number in which Rosemary finally shone! She was very loveable as a patriotic Canadian idiot who likes to lead. She was great running around the circle singing Oh Canada and bossing Steph about. Their number was a mess - "too many things...the handkerchief should be enough" - and "the couple is not good" (Steph was negative), but Rosemary was "not too bad." It was a nice moment, because she's been having a really hard time in this workshop and has never got one laugh before today.

~

Yung Yung did a solo number telling us the synopsis of a Othello but it was "extremely boring."

Philippe asked: "Why don't you do it with someone else? It's easier."

~

"Every good flop you receive helps you a lot to become normal on the stage… You have a flop...I am really happy for you because you discover so many treasures with your flop… And it's normal to flop."

~

At the end of class we did a short exercise with seven men all on stage in a line. Our job was to pretend to be a charming singer, and Monsieur Marcel had sold us that to do that we had to show our teeth.


Then music was played (or a foreign crooner) and we had to imitate it. I tried to be simple, and just stuck with a big big smile. I didn't do much else. When it came to my turn I sang "hey" which is a sound the singer seemed to repeat a few times. I'd go on to try and sing in a foreign language but end up just going back to "hey" and making a song out of "heys". I got laughs. I wasn't playing too much. I was just listening and looking to the audience whilst doing something slightly strange with my face (big grin). "Not too bad again."

~

Then seven women had a go pretending to be a deep realist singer. Monsieur Marcel had told them that a deep realist singer moves their head sometimes...to try and find something deep. The clowns we loved didn't play too much. They were really light, they were with us, and they had fun.


~

So a pretty amazing day for the class today! After a week of slow and painful flops we had several explosive wonders! And it was a big day for me too. I started to discover a place that I can grow from. And despite what he says about me being an actor and not a clown, I'm still on the search to find my idiot!

No comments:

Post a Comment