Tuesday, March 15, 2011

"It's Your Job To Take A Risk. A Big Risk."

We followed on with the same Mélo from yesterday. Other people had a go, and most were worked with by Philippe.

~

I played the nurse in a scene with Mike as the flower-seller and Brette as the young girl. I came out slowly and boldly - dramatic - as if struck by fear or the pain of what I have to tell the girl. I did a rough wobbly voice (trying to do this 'Mélodramatic actor voice' Philippe's been talking about). The scene went on for a while but eventually we were stopped.

Philippe said I looked like I was sick. Like I was constipated. I was doing facials and tensing my body for effect - which was unnecessary. 

And also, I was playing by myself again: "You don't play with her."


I had my scene, in which I was searching for voice, movement, body, rhythm, style... but I wasn't with Brette. Philippe said that if I was with her, what I was looking for might come from being with her. So - don't search alone!

Also, the characters have to "have a name...Faintine, Causette, Camille." I called Brette 'Brette'.

~

"No technique! We need technique!"

Keep it simple: "We don't have two Mélos in one Mélo."

Punctuation: "He's not an actor. He doesn't have any fixed points."

Be lovable: "Is the flower seller absolutely lovable? ...Or we don't give a tiny shit?"

"If you do not give, it's a rabbit fart."

"It's good to say fuck you to everything. It's really healthy."

Don't move if you don't know why you're moving: "Everything you do, we have to understand."

In Mélos, something good precedes something bad: "This moment is so happy...for sure something bad is coming."

~

I'm happy with the way I worked today. I was risking, which was a big thing Philippe spoke about today. I was going into unknown territory to try and discover. Just got to remember to do that with my scene partner...

"You have to take this risk. You take a risk and you could be really bad. But you have to take a risk...Otherwise it's TV."


"It's your job to take a risk. A big risk...Something unbelievable...every five minutes a risk."


"If you have fun to take a risk, to do something unbelievable, it could be fantastic."


"What risk did you take?"

No comments:

Post a Comment