Sunday, April 22, 2012

Oxford & Māori Troilus & Cressida

This weekend Amanda and I took a little trip to England to see the Māori Troilus & Cressida production at Shakespeare's Globe. 

But for the first two nights we stayed in Oxford where we hung out with Claudia, ate cream tea and drank too much Cider.



Then on Monday we went to London where we hung out with Kay and saw the show we had come to see!
To be honest, I didn't love the production. It was very 'traditional-Māori', which as a New Zealander I've seen many many times, so in terms of form I found it predictable and a bit boring. 
I hoped they would do something new and different. What I imagined I was going to see (Shakespeare set in a Māori world) was exactly what I saw. 


BUT for an international audience (which is what it was intended for) it was fantastic. Totally new and original for them. And actually, overall, we loved it.

 It was such a great feeling being at the Globe in London with lots of New Zealanders and familiar faces (saw Ralph McCubbin Howell and Jeanette McDonald to name just two) was really special. 

And when they did a song and haka at the end of the show we were crying. Really really proud. 

And an old drama-school class mate of mine, Juanita Hepi, was in the show, which was really cool! And we got to see her at the special after-show function upstairs at The Swan (it was flash!). 

We were so glad we went. It was a great little injection of home.

Amanda and I are in the middle.


A great four-day weekend. Fish'n'Chips (with curry sauce - TRY IT!) and old friends and once-in-a-lifetime Māori Shakespeare at the Globe. What a life!

No comments:

Post a Comment