Friday, December 7, 2012

Friday Before First Clown Show

The last day to present to get into Monday's clown show. There were over twenty numbers shown! Many were given the okay too! Often a shortened version, but a green light never the less.


I thought the atmosphere in the class was really great. Positive and encouraging. It wasn't too panicky or depressing. There's was a sense of collective purpose and ensemble.

~

Hannah and I presented our 'faxes' number one more time, taking Philippe's direction into account, and we got a yes. One minute and eleven seconds of it. He said we can speed it up again like we did before, as long as we keep our private moments as well. I was happy with how Hannah and I worked with his direction. We blocked in moments to be happy with ourselves and connect with the audience. And in these moments it's more clown. We do something stupid - and then we're happy with ourselves. The time with the audience also allows the flop to come. We smile and wink and the flop starts to fall around our bodies, and TTTHHHEEENNNN bam! Assistant! You have faxes for meeee? and we save the show. So we have a nice structure that works well with clown.

~

Nicko and I also presented our rhythmic 'boom...ting!' number. We made a few changes with the lead up to our booming and tinging, particularly by adding problems with Nicko not getting the point to say 'ting'...So it gives me a good conflict. And we found some good things. Like me saying 'ting' by accident and Nicko being distraught and me being apologetic. People laughed a lot and we played together very well. But we need more problems. We got to our music too fast. But that's not what's funny. So we need to work a bit more and then present again. I'm really happy with that.


~

Liz and I also presented a number in which I, as Monsieur Loyale, talk about how sometimes bad clowns don't make it into the show, and then Liz (as her clown) comes in totally furious and abuses me and the audience and Philippe. Liz was really nervous about it, but we worked together and went for it, and it worked. So I'm really stoked for her. And I had a good time playing as an actor too.

~

So I have a clown number in the show! Awesome! I really didn't think that would happen. I have another in the works. And I have a good Monsieur Loyale moment too. I won't be playing on Monday night as I'm going to a concert with my good friend Axelle (something I decided to do for myself in a particularly difficult time in my life) but the show is going to be great and I'm looking forward to playing on Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment